Exit Plans are Essential
Even if you think you never want to leave
Even if you love your job
Especially if the time to go was… last year.
Because life changes–you need a Plan B, even when:
- You think you have the most stable job in the world. After all isn’t technology here to stay? Aren’t nurses and teachers always in demand? The answer of course is “It depends.” The world is changing so rapidly, you can’t count on staying in your job forever like in the good ole days. Whole industries get outsourced. The popularity of particular careers comes and goes. There is a shortage one day and a surplus the next.
- You love your co-workers and the culture of your work environment. Like job stability, this can change overnight. Bosses are transferred or move on. Co-workers leave for better opportunities and before you know it, the culture and environment you loved just isn’t the same. While you used to love going to work everyday, now it’s just… well, a routine.
- You are being paid well for your skills. When you work for someone else, you have little control over the pay scale. Maybe you’ve hit a glass ceiling and can’t progress. Maybe your financial picture changes and you will need to increase your salary. Maybe you simply could make more if you marketed your skills outside your current workplace. It is always good to keep your options open.
- You are healthy, happy and living the dream now. Life can change in the blink of an eye. What if your health or the health of a family member changed? What if you needed to take a sabbatical to care for an elderly parent or a chronically ill child? What if your spouse is transferred to another state? I’m not saying that you have to anticipate disaster, but its a good idea to always have some alternatives in mind.
- You’ve been in your job so long that you are the expert and think you are irreplaceable. I hate to tell you but no matter how valuable you are… someone could replace you. Maybe not in every way, but they could adequately do your job. The real question is “Have you stopped growing?” “Are you bored with what you do?” “Are you becoming complacent and lazy in your job because you’ve lost your zest and your enthusiasm?”
- You love the work that you do. Sometimes we love the work but the standards change. We’re asked to do more and more with less and less resources. Where we once had great freedom and chances for creativity, the job becomes more routine and standardized.
What if tomorrow were the day that you woke up and your world changed?
Would you know the direction you wanted to go in?
What if you had a Plan B?
Do you need an exit plan from your job?
Day Job to Dream Job: Are you ready for a change?
Tired of having someone else tell you what to do and when to do it?
Are there days when you wonder what would happen if you got up, left your job and didn’t come back?
Was today one of those days?
Do you have a dream inside dying to get out?
Are you ready to get started creating work you love?
Do you need some help with creating a plan that will help you move closer to your dream job and dream life?
Sign up for a complementary coaching clarity call…I’d love to talk with you!