One simple step toward building confidence
Need more confidence?
Maybe you’ve said:
I believe I have the ability… but I just don’t have the confidence I need to make the change.
I’ve accomplished a lot but if I were more confident, I could really make a difference.
Don’t worry, I totally get it. I’ve struggled with feeling confident my whole life. Turns out I’m not alone. One of the most frequent areas of concern when I work with clients is confidence building. Learning strategies and techniques is helpful but developing confidence is one area that can be extremely challenging.
There are several myths about confidence. Here are a couple:
- Confidence must come before action: “When I feel confident of my abilities then I will start my business, audition for that part, write my book.”
- Instead, ask yourself, “What if it’s possible that doing the thing that is scary will build my confidence?”
- Everyone else is confident but me: ” Everyone else seems like they know what they are doing…there must be something wrong with me.”
- Instead of comparing yourself to others, ask yourself, “What is one small step I can take today that will lead me toward my goal (and build my confidence)?”
In a recent presentation on Women in Business and How to Play the Game, Erin Wolf, Executive Director of the Women’s Leadership Center at Kennesaw State University, identified ten unspoken rules in business. Here are two of them that relate to confidence:
- If you are 20% ready you are 100% ready–Women in particular tend to believe that they have to not only prepare for a role, a task or a new job, they need to be 100% ready. Not true. Instead allow yourself to take imperfect action and learn as you step into the new task at hand.
- Raise your hand and get picked for the team–Women also tend to wait to be noticed. They expect that hard work and preparation will be recognized and rewarded. Instead raise your hand, express interest and market yourself, your abilities and accomplishments.
Body Language and Confidence Building
Want a simple technique that you can practice to build your confidence? We know body language communicates who we are to others. What if it’s possible that it also communicates who we are to ourselves? Watch this amazing video:
What are some practical ways that you can use body language to build your confidence? Practice the power poses before:
- a job interview
- before starting your day
- before taking an an exam
- before a sales presentation
- before teaching a class
- anytime, anywhere!
Maybe you too will ultimately find that who you practice being, actually unleashes who you really are.
Ready to make a change in your life?
Want to create an exit plan from your job?
Need a coach to help you sort things out?
Lets do it! Set up a complementary clarity call here: https://bookme.name/dreamachiever
Wow! Lynne’s expertise in personality styles, mindset and priority management is a powerful combination. The interactive and personalized format was engaging and gave me tools I can use and actions I can take right away. I am able to more clearly articulate what my business is (What do you do?) and who it serves (Who is your ideal client?), and I have come away with a system for building my business (How do I do it?) Erin Shaw
Leave a Comment